SAG-AFTRA reveals terms of ‘groundbreaking’ deal::Actors union SAG-AFTRA revealed specifics of its deal with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers in a press conference Friday.

• @dingleberry
    link
    English
    716 months ago

Next: please protect voice actors and audiobook narrators.

• @Touching_Grass@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Using AI to create voices and audiobooks sounds awesome though. I don’t like that people may lose their jobs. But using AI for this stuff seems like a natural progression. Having an audio book that shifts voices and tone easy but can also include sound effects and background noises would improve the audio. It would make these products better and likely cheaper. It would also give other creators a ton of ability to create their own stuff. Giving indie game developers tools to create games would be great.

Id love to have a tool to read books to me that can parse any book. Even something like a textbook. I learn much better by listening and no reader has been able to do that yet,but AI looks promising.

• @topinambour_rex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        386 months ago

But the original voice actor, the one which was used as model for the AI voice should gain something from what is generated from his voice.

If they decide to put their voice as royalty free, fine, but if it is something who paid their bills by making recordings of their voice, not fine.

• @linearchaos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        176 months ago

I don’t mind different voices, but books with sound effects are hot trash. If I want to watch a movie, if watch a movie. Let my mind do the work.

• @redditron_2000_4@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            36 months ago

Soundbooth Theater does “audio immersion” versions of some books and they are amazing. It is genre fiction, but if it they are your genres then you should check them out! (Horror, fantasy, sci-fi, etc)

• @mr_tyler_durden@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          36 months ago

Amen. If there are sound effects then I’m not interested. All of those audio presentations or whatever they are called sound so forced and over-acted.

• @essteeyou@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          06 months ago

If you haven’t listened to Project Hail Mary then I can understand your perspective. PHM works better as an audiobook than a regular book because of the “effects” in my opinion.

• @linearchaos@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            16 months ago

I’ve listened to that twice read by Ray Porter, who is my favorite audiobook narrator. I don’t remember there being any special effects in the book whatsoever on audible. The dude is just a master of different voices One of the reasons why he was so incredible in bobiverse.

• @essteeyou@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              16 months ago

Trying to avoid spoilers for others, but think about the other main character’s voice when they first meet.

• Knitwear
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

“Having an audio book that shifts voices and tone easy but can also include background noises”

That’s not what you’re going to get. Even with A.I they all requires sound editing and reviewing and fixing errors which all costs money. We already have the tech to do A.I voice acting and I’ve tried a few. What we’ll get is what we have now, a single A.I voice with eerie intonation that modifies some words to their context but not others so it functions for a sentence but cannot emote a paragraph.

link
          fedilink
          English
          16 months ago

Are you saying that AI isn’t improving?

I just read someone that said they listened to an audio book that did do this.

• Knitwear
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            6 months ago

No I’m saying that when we get a new game changing technology things don’t tend to become better produced, they become cheaper to produce cheaply and quality be damned

• @abhibeckert@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              6 months ago

The thing is a lot of audiobooks aren’t being produced at all right now, or aren’t being produced to an acceptable quality standard (not because the narrator is bad, but because they and they editor weren’t paid enough to get it right.

In this case, I think cheaper production would result in better audiobooks.

link
              fedilink
              English
              -16 months ago

I think game changing tech is always better but we as consumers are complicit in allowing the erosion of the benefit because were complacent.

Look at podcasts as an example. It beat the shit out of any other media at the time. Just hobbiest and funny people making content. Content that didn’t have any producers making sure people stayed on script. No ads, ever to interrupt or make creators panic about topics. Then rogan started pushing pocket pussies and everybody said its cool because its only 2 mins and skippable. Years later its now multiple unskippable ads on a paid service where we pay to avoid ads.

The only time we could have stopped the current problem is when it wasn’t a problem. But we don’t have that foresight

So game changing tech is great, if we keep it on track. Don’t let it erode.

• @abhibeckert@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                6 months ago

Years later its now multiple unskippable ads on a paid service where we pay to avoid ads.

You must be listening to different podcasts to me. Those “hobbiest” content creators are still there, and they tend to have decent microphones now and have learned how to create fairly high production value content. Yes, they have ads, but they’re short and skippable (or even at the end of the episode) and you want them to get paid for their work right? Otherwise they won’t do it.

Sure, shitty podcasts are also available. Just don’t subscribe to them.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  edit-2
                  6 months ago

I don’t want them to get paid. I want people like me who are so passionate about a thing that they make stuff for the community.

What I don’t want are for those people to not bother creating things because the whole technology shifted towards profit motivations and the space and tech was taking over by the 1000th comedian who is leveraging a free advertising method to sell tickets and still ends up selling ad space like they’re a fender in NASCAR.

And no ads are not all skippable. No they’re not short, they interrupt, they infiltrate every corner of our lives and podcasts were popular early on because they were the exact opposite of what they are now. Now its just radio 2.0.