Hi all,

I’ve been typing on the first keyboard I ever bought for about 7 years now (Sharkoon Skiller Pro +) and, after trying out some of the shiny mechanical keyboards my friends bought over the years (Roccat Vulkan Pro, Steelseries Apex Pro, etc), decided I wanted a new keyboard as well.

I’ve done a little research on keyboards as a whole and have a few favorites, but recently I came across ergonomic keyboards, such as shown in this community. Now, I’m unsure wether I want to go with a traditional board (my top candidate is the Meletix Zoom98 with Morandi Switches) or try something completely different.

I’m looking for stories and advice right now, to get the most out of the money i’m willing to spend on a keyboard (buying multiple is not an option at the price point of for example the Zoom98).

Looking forward to this :)

• VOwOxelOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Also, the Moonlander has people saying the tenting is uncomfortable, and to go with the ergodox ez instead… I’m just unsure because there is so many to choose from, but most of them are so expensive that I’d have to buy one and stick with it for years to come.

• cerement@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago
      • tenting is a very subjective choice – and once you start worrying about optimizing tenting, then you start looking at keywell keyboards and figuring out how to optimize the generation parameters for your own Dactyl
      • Keebio might be a better starting point over ZSA – most of their boards are sold as kits but with the SMD soldering taken care of so you just have to worry about assembly
        • Iris is their specialty and they have pre-built options available
        • they’ve also recently started offering a pre-soldered kit for the Breeze keyboard if you need a few extra keys
      • it’s perfectly okay to plan to stick to one keyboard for a few years – switching from a regular keyboard to a columnar stagger keyboard is going to take time, learning layers is going to take time, learning a new layout will take time – this is a personal journey to find your comfort spot
    • glitches_brew@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Every single one of my coworkers who had an ergodox ez now has a moonlander and they are unanimously happy with the upgrade. Tenting is at least an option with the moonlander.

I have the falba redox which is very similar to both layouts and is by far the best tenting on any keyboard I own. Might be a third option if you’re seriously considering the other two.

Link since formatting isn’t working: https://falba.tech/product/redox-full-assembly-services-of-keyboard-pcb-arduino-electronics-and-cable-etc/