PlayStation Portal is out but trying to find one is about as arduous as trying to buy a PS5 in late 2020.

• Joker
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I don’t know if that’s a fair criticism. I think I first saw something about this thing yesterday. Not much of a marketing push. I had to look it up to see what the heck it is. It seems to have a very specific and narrow use case. I’m sure it’s a nice option for people with that need and works well enough, but it’s not exactly something the masses are clamoring for. There’s similar tech out there and they are sort of niche products. I don’t expect this thing to be selling like hotcakes.

• TyrionsNose@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I pre-ordered mine back in September. Those of us who game from multiple rooms in their house this thing is amazing. Or those who have to share a TV with people who don’t use the PS5 connected to it.

• averagedrunk@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I don’t have any generation PlayStation so I don’t have a dog in this fight. That being said:

I completely understand. I’ve got a gaming rig in one room, stream to mini PCs set up as steam consoles in other rooms, and have a Steam Deck. I can play anywhere in my house. I never need to worry whether someone else is using a TV.

If it works for your case, I’m happy for you!

• money_loo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Naw their criticisms are extremely fair.

When this thing was first announced it was met with mostly people all over going “what’s the point of this thing, nobody is going to buy such a useless thing when they can just play on their phone or some adapter” etc.

Then when the pre-orders where announced to be selling out, it didn’t shift to “people want this thing”, they just pivoted to “they are just lying to hype it up”

And now that it’s sold out everywhere, they have no choice but to either admit it was wanted and they were wrong, or just keep going with the idea that, no, it’s everyone else that is wrong.