• dingleberry
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I see why psychology tests are considered quackery so much. Being anti-social, or just not interested in other people’s life is not being autistic.

This test is repeatedly asking just two questions:

1. Do you like numbers, the same way Hollywood likes to paint autistic people.
    2. Do you like talking to other people?
    • Diplomjodler@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

A test like that can only ever be a first indication. If you score high on this, it doesn’t mean you’re autistic. It just means you might want to talk to a mental health professional.

• smeg@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Sadly humans always want to boil things down to simple metrics (or maybe we just like numbers… wait a minute!) and people can’t be bothered to do the hard part after getting the number. The classic example is IQ tests, which just measure how good you are at that particular quiz (despite certain people obsessing over them like the number is your IRL intelligence stat).

• paddirn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I didn’t take this test, but another similar 50 question autism test, but I felt the same way. It reminds me of alot of the personality quizzes they give for the different business personality trends out there. Questions where there can be some nuance involved and I can answer the question either way depending on how I frame it, but the answers only allow for one answer or the other. I could literally flip a coin to pick the answer and not be wrong, but somehow one answer will make me more autistic than the other?

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

It’s a combination of answers that are used to give a score, not just this answer to one question = more autistic.

• SuddenDownpour@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Criticism of psychology tests aside (which is totally valid), do also note that this one is based on the work of Simon Baron-Cohen, whose theories on autism have been proven wrong one after another and miseducated a generation of psychologists.

• UnspecificGravity
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Someone didn’t like their result and responded by being super autistic about it.