• ourob
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

The reason you get much, much looser attribution with people like Grubb or Schreier s that those connections would probably lose their jobs, and for the most part nobody wants that, often including the studios that employ those guys.

Oh, I’m not criticizing Grubb. I’m criticizing the GameSpot article quoting Grubb. I have no opinion on whether Grubb is right, and I certainly don’t expect him to give up sources. I don’t even know whether he has a specific source, or if he was just giving his (no doubt well-informed) opinion on the situation, because I haven’t watched the podcast.

This felt like reading a New York Times article that links to a Washington Post article about some news event, and the NYT article is quoting the WaPo author in the same way that they would quote a witness. It’s just bizarre to me.

• MudMan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah, it’s a bit weirder when Gamespot repackages Grubb’s take as news, in that it becomes harder to tell whether it’s them being coy about “we know a guy who knows a guy” info or if they’re just trying to manufacture a click out of something that’s unverified.

But then again, we’re rating them against Youtube “influencers” and whatnot, so I’m actively shocked that any standards would remain at all these days.