• @fiah
    link
    106 months ago

that’s almost the worst thing you can do in a two party system, short of not voting at all. It sucks that the system only really allows two parties but throwing away your vote on a third party is not the way to fix it

• @chaonaut@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      126 months ago

First-Past-the-Post voting makes this shit suck so hard. Not only does voting third party reduce the threshold for the rest of the field and in particular the party I definitely don’t want in power, that party is most incentivised to prop up my third party candidate. They get to count my vote as win, and with the stakes as high as they are even losing an election cycle means people I care about get seriously hurt.

• So what you’re trying to tell us, is that we literally have no choice who to vote for.

A lot of people would rather see this increasingly undemocratic system collapse entirely than to try to hold it together with bandaids with no one stopping the cause of the bleeding.

If there’s literally zero way through voting to influence the behavior of politicians without making things worse, then why bother voting or participating in this psychopathic system at all?

And if your response is something like “you’re an idiot, shut up you idiot!”, then you’re just sticking your fingers in your ears and going la-la-la-la-la.

Your job isn’t to demonstrate your virtue through tribal arguments, your job is to understand why people don’t want to vote for Biden.

You just need to stop lecturing and scolding for like, a few dang minutes.

• @Dagwood222@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        116 months ago

Look at what it was like in Russia after the Soviets fell and tell me how great it will be when the system falls.

A few guys with money swarmed in and snatched up all the goodies, while the people got nothing.

People who were living on pensions, or needed constant medical care, or were too young to work took the brunt of it.

• @fiah
        link
        56 months ago

A lot of people would rather see this increasingly undemocratic system collapse entirely

a lot of people love to fantasize but are the first to cry for help when shit hits the fan

• @Zoboomafoo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        26 months ago

Feel free to drive to the mountains, leave all your possessions behind, and enjoy the collapse you clearly want without dooming millions of us to death