• soulsource
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Familiarity.

If an alternative isn’t 100% identical to a tool one is used to, one automatically has reservations, and the slightest inconvenience immediately turns into a blocking issue. On the other hand, one is typically inclined to ignore problems with tools one is used to.

There isn’t much one can do about this, other than trying to keep an open mind, and being aware of that bias.

• loutr@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah but you don’t even need to see the underlying OS, just the familiar Steam client. I love Linux and use it on all my PCs and servers, but I never use desktop mode on the deck, no need to when all your games are on Steam.

I’d get a complaint like “some of my games don’t run”, but I honestly don’t understand what he means when he writes “Wrestling with Linux on my Steam Deck has been a nightmare since day one”.

• soulsource
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

They do mention emulators, and I honestly don’t know which ones are available on Steam - and you still need to copy the ROM files somewhere…

As a Linux user I find that rather easy to do, even on Steam Deck with immutable root FS, but I can understand how a Windows user might get frustrated by it.

• loutr@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I did use desktop mode to install emudeck. The install process is fully automated, but yeah you have to find your way around a unix FS to download and play roms I guess, but creating a folder and moving files around with dolphin is not that complicated, and he’s a writer for a tech news site…

• soulsource
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

You also need to transfer the ROM files, what either means using a USB drive, takig out the SD Card, or using some form of network file transfer. The Steam Deck comes with sshd preinstalled, so gaining sftp access is just a matter of enabling it, but most guides to do so just mention how to do it on the command line… And for some weird reason Windows users seem to be afraid of terminal windows… (I just had to google if there even are graphical frontends for systemd… The answer is of course yes.)

• mnemonicmonkeys@sh.itjust.works
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I’ve installed EmuDeck a couple of times and I don’t think I’ve had to use the terminal. And if I did all I was asked to do was type my sudo password

• soulsource
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

I’m talking about sftp access. The sshd is disabled by default, and the deck user doesn’t have a password set either. If you want to push your ROM files over to the deck over network, you need some way to tell systemd to start sshd - the usual one being sudo systemctl start sshd.