This is my small rant against the ‘features’ that big streaming services provided vis a vis the convenience of pirating the same thing.

I have a mobile data connection only where the carrier offers me free data for six hours post midnight. I can queue torrents on my phone(Yes, I torrent mainly on phone via Flud for Android) for downloading at night; then transfer the downloaded files to my laptop much later for viewing on a slightly larger screen. I couldn’t have done the same with say, Amazon Prime Video. Even if I could get these streaming services to queue at certain time, due to DRM restrictions, the content would only remain playable on phone.

I know, my use case, is very unique and niche since most folks probably already have access to fast broadband networks. But Atleast, piracy, hasn’t let go of my hand even for such use cases. I appreciate it.

Also, I am not sure Amazon Prime Video even goes above 720p on Firefox for Linux due to Widevine certification thing; the last time I tried I was running into issues, hence, I stopped bothering with it.

• @kirk782OP
    link
    English
    36 months ago

I actually tried Edge on Linux when it was in preview stage(because MS Teams wasn’t fully compatible with Firefox, all features didn’t work) and it started as a rather okayish fork of Chromium with features like vertical tabs integrated. Then it only got worse as additional features were piped in from top. It became bloated and a cursory glance at it’s right click menu just gives it all(which isn’t customizable in Edge but can be done in Firefox via userChrome.css file).