I’ve seen people use nix-doom-emacs, have it set up standalone, and some have fancy Nix code that’s way beyond my understanding for now to set it up. Which one is the recommended way to set it up? Also, how do you get completions in nix-mode?

• cherylgomez
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

@ geometry dash lite hello, you can follow these steps

1. Create a Nix configuration file: Create a Nix configuration file if you don’t have one already. You can use the default configuration file located at /etc/nixos/configuration.nix. Open the file in a text editor.
    2. Add the necessary Nix packages: In the Nix configuration file, add the necessary Nix packages for Doom Emacs. This typically includes the Emacs package and any other dependencies required by Doom Emacs. Add the following lines to the file:
    nix
    Copy
    environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [
      emacs
      ripgrep
      fd
    ];

3. Enable the Nix package: Enable the Nix package by adding it to the list of packages in the environment.systemPackages section of your Nix configuration file.

4. Save and apply the configuration: Save the Nix configuration file and apply the changes by running the following command as root or with sudo:

Copy $ sudo nixos-rebuild switch

1. Clone the Doom Emacs repository: Clone the Doom Emacs repository to a directory of your choice. You can do this by running the following command:
    Copy
    $ git clone https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs ~/.emacs.d

6. Customize Doom Emacs configuration (optional): If you want to customize Doom Emacs, you can modify the ~/.doom.d/config.el file according to your preferences. This file allows you to configure various aspects of Doom Emacs, such as packages, themes, and keybindings.

7. Install Doom Emacs: Install Doom Emacs by running the following command:

Copy $ ~/.emacs.d/bin/doom install

1. Start Doom Emacs: Start Doom Emacs by running the following command:
    Copy
    $ ~/.emacs.d/bin/doom sync

• ruinationOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Ah, so effectively the standard installation. Alright, thanks!

• lelgenio@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

That answer was generated by chatgpt, I don’t think that’s anywhere near a sensible way of achieving what you asked.

I don’t use emacs so I don’t know what the most optimal way would be, but even the much less popular editor I use has an elegant solution in nix, I assume the same holds true for emacs.