How do you feel about the massive influx of users?

• loiakdsf
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I just hope that it will be more distributed than Matrix and not everyone registers on lemmy.ml (matrix.org in case of matrix) so the decentralization works for real here instead of 90% (exaggerating, don’t know the numbers) of the user base sitting on one instance :)

• kopper [they/them]@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

with how much .ml is struggling to handle the load I would’ve expected even more to pick different instances, though the situation seems better than how mastodon.social was during the twitter migration

the upcoming centralization issue sounds like it’ll be the communities themselves all being hosted on .ml, not accounts. can’t want to see how that one is gonna play out

• Justin@lemmy.jlh.name
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

they need the communities to be able to sync their posts/mod-team with other communities. That way communities aren’t dependent on one site.

• XanXic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah this is my concern with lemmy overall. Like if a server shutsdown, as far as my understanding goes, the communities and accounts go with it. Like yeah decentralized is great for democracy purposes but the hard line separation makes it a hard ask on time investment. And I’m sure it’s more likely to happen to larger instances than smaller since cost will be the hugest factor. I’m sure remaking your account isn’t a big deal but we’ve seen with Reddit a sub/community can be irreplaceable at times.

The first time a handful of large subs are lost on Lemmy I’m sure it’ll have great affect on how the community views Lemmy.

• Justin@lemmy.jlh.name
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah definitely. There needs to be migration options between instances if federation is going to work.

• MoreIronOre@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I just signed up for my local one, I see that is lemmy.ml.

That’ll do for now. I will look around for alternatives once I got used to the whole federated thing more.