• @fer0n@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I don’t want to be mean (also I’m not using threads and am using mastodon and Lemmy), but threads is multiple times more a thing than Lemmy or mastodon.

Mastodon, for example, has around 1.8 million monthly active users right now, where threads has around 100 million monthly active users. That’s a factor of over 50x.

Lemmy, in comparison, has 35k active users which is roughly a factor of 3000. So yeah, threads is still a thing.

• @smeg@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        66 months ago

The 100M Threads users isn’t a real thing though is it? Didn’t they just auto-add everyone with an Instagram account and claim that counted?

• @fer0n@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          6 months ago

There were 100 million users after the first weekend, there’s certainly more now. Threads is using an Instagram account but people still sign up for it and have to download the app. It’s easier, but not automatic.

And this right here is 100 million monthly active users.

• @smeg@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            26 months ago

Do we have any metrics on that number other than Zucc saying “trust me bro”? That would be ridiculously impressive if they’ve actually kept those sort of numbers!

• @fer0n@lemm.eeOP
              link
              fedilink
              76 months ago

That was during an earnings call, I think that has a little bit of weight to it and I’m not expecting that to be on the same level as “trust me bro”. But I obviously don’t have any insider info there.

• @anothermember@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        26 months ago

Very anecdotal but I’ve asked my normie friends about Threads and they think it was hardly ever a thing. It may be 100 million active users but that’s still a small percentage of the population it’s available to, and given it’s for profit that might not even be enough to sustain it. With Mastodon and Lemmy it’s quality over quantity, I’m happy to be smaller, just hope we can keep Threads out if they last long enough to get around to federating.