cross-posted from: https://kbin.social/m/movies/t/664183

The mixed response to Emerald Fennell’s 00s-set thriller evinces a movie-going conundrum: how do we assess entertainment that is predominantly indexed on vibes? By now, the buzz around Saltburn, Emerald Fennell’s sweaty, lascivious sophomore feature about a middle-class interloper in a vacuously rich family, has begun to settle into two camps. On one side, viewers and the plurality of critics who find the film, which had one of the most successful limited releases this year in the US before expanding nationwide last weekend, to be a flashy, self-satisfied mess of empty provocations. And on the other, those who see Fennell’s remix of Brideshead Revisited and the The Talented Mr Ripley with a dash of mid-aughts Abercrombie & Fitch as a successfully absorbing erotic thriller with titillating shocks. Depraved, but in a fun way, to summarize the predominant sentiment on TikTok.

Everyone agrees that Saltburn, for the most part, looks good – lush, attractive, expensive. (It helps that it stars the Euphoria actor and ascendant screen heartthrob Jacob Elordi.) But are its squirm-inducing visuals – a character slurping another’s cummy bathwater, a literally cocky ending – the mark of perverse genius, or cheap, hollow tricks masquerading as it?..

• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

@Blaze thanks for the invite, that’s an interesting idea - but I don’t know if federation currently allows us to cross-moderate between Lemmy and Kbin yet?

Yes, unfortunately you would need a Lemmy account to be able to mod :-/

!moviesandtv is obviously the bigger/main community on the threadiverse so definitely it needs to be kept!!!

Alright, let’s do this!

Also, I agree that small communities are also nice, but probably too early for now

• ernest@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yes, unfortunately you would need a Lemmy account to be able to mod :-/

This is one of the things I am currently working on; something should change in the near future.

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Hey, good to see you here! Thanks!