• @hessenjunge
    link
    1605 months ago

I disagree with tax & rent being lumped together. I have no problem with my (high) tax rate as it supports education, infrastructure, etc. The outrageously inflated rent goes to the same guy that stole 95% of your pizza in the first place.

• enkers
      link
      fedilink
      335 months ago

While I agree in principle, when tax dollars go to corporate tax cuts, handouts to failing financial institutions, and billionaire lunatics selling snake-oil space-based internet “solutions”, its easy to get disillusioned about taxes.

We absolutely should be taxed to a high degree, but that money needs to be spent on collective benefits, not private corporate interests.

• @hessenjunge
        link
        edit-2
        5 months ago

That’s a different topic though! Don’t conflate collecting funds with usage/distribution of funds. We all need to accept that we have to pay (high) taxes. That the upper 10% haven’t paid their fair share in decades and that there is misuse has nothing to do with my tax rate. We need the upper 10% to pay way way more and we need better accountability for usage of the money. Pretty much regardless of where you live on this planet by the way.

• @captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        65 months ago

Yeah I think playing into the idea that it’s being taken unjustly though is bad. It’s better to portray it like the rich roommate never paying their portion of any of the bills and leaving you to cover it all.

• @lolcatnip@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -85 months ago

Saying taxes pay for cuts to someone else’s taxes is nonsensical in this context. No money is spent on tax cuts.

• enkers
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

You realize someone has to pay for public infrastructure and services, yes? If corporate interests do not pay the taxes that are typically expected of them, then someone else will have to cough up that money, or services will need to be cut.

• @lolcatnip@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            5 months ago

“Paying” for tax cuts makes sense in the context of changing budgets while trying to keep them balanced. But no money is ever spent on tax cuts. It’s spent on the public infrastructure and services you mentioned. If you properly account for the money as being used to pay for public goods, then saying it’s also used to pay for tax cuts would be double counting.

• archomrade [he/him]
              link
              fedilink
              English
              75 months ago

Having to pay more for a shared cost so that someone else can pay less… I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the shorthand “pay for someone else’s tax cuts”.

• enkers
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              5 months ago

Alice and Bob agree to buy a shared lumber splitter. Alice takes a loan to pay for it, which Bob agrees to pay half of. When payments are due, Bob bails and does not pay, and he uses the lumber splitter anyways. Now Alice has to also pay the share that Bob agreed to pay.