NB: According to some of the suggestions below, this post has been made into a community:

https://lemmy.ca/c/software_alternatives_linux

Hope to see many of view posting software alternatives there!

Many members of this community are computer users who recently moved to Linux from other OSs, Windows in particular. Having established their work and hobbies on a particular software base, they often encounter difficulties trying to find similar software on Linux.

I’d like this to be a sort of board where members comment about some software alternative they’re looking for, and other members sub-comment with possible solutions.

What’s a solution? It’s important to be broad-minded about this when switching to Linux:

• Exactly the same software could be available for Linux.

• Different software but with similar critical features could be available for Linux.

• It could be possible to use emulators (such as Wine) of the old OS.

• Finally, one can change one’s perspective or workflow, in such a way that the old software is not needed any longer, but is replaced with other software of a different kind (this may actually lead to much improved workflows).

(Moderators: feel free to take over this post. Also please let me know if a similar board exists already here, so I delete this.)