• dust_accelerator
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Same for Architecture in the '11-'16 time. I recall that it supported all the software, had decent performance for CAD use cases and easy to pirate Adobe Suite. All round, solid system that worked out of the box mostly.

I think that image kind of stuck. Now I see a lot of CompSci students with MacBooks. I understand the desire for compute power, but at the same time I feel they don’t really understand how to use it properly, because of how Apple isolates the user and has such an extensive vendor lock-in strategy.

I feel like, if you can figure out how to make it work with MS Paint on Windows95 (or FreeBSD on potato laptop for CS), then using anything better will put your skillset on steroids.

• PaupersSerenade@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I wasn’t really trying to do a Windows v Mac argument, just trying to acknowledge the sentiment at the time, even if it was driven by advertising

• snowe@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Mac is the best platform for coding as a profession, coming from someone who uses all three OSes and uses Mac for their job. You can jump the wall out of the “user isolation” and have both the application ecosystem of a popular OS with access to software like Excel while also getting all the benefits of Linux (no, wsl isn’t good and neither is wsl 2).