Apple’s MacBook Pro memory problem is worse than ever::Apple still sells expensive “Pro” computers with just 8GB of RAM and charges a fortune for more.

• @fiah
    link
    English
    125 months ago

32gb might have been “pro” 5 years ago but not anymore, not when a run of the mill 32gb DDR5 kit can be had for $100

• JohnEdwa
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Apple won’t even offer that for the 8GB models, the best you can do for those is pay $400 to get them with 24GB included.
      And obviously everything is soldered and nothing is upgradeable.

• De Lancre
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Also, have in mind that main memory shared with igpu, so if we talking about memory heavy tasks like 8k video render with masks, effects and stuff, then this memory will be eaten not only by app, but also with gpu encoder. 64gb would be more close to “bearable minimum” but oh well, magic apple ram I guess.

• @fiah
        link
        English
        75 months ago

yes, my opinion is that 32gb was the minimum spec for a “pro” system 5 years ago. Nowadays, if 32gb is actually enough as a minimum spec then you’re in “enthusiast” territory in my opinion, not “pro”. Perhaps that’s more telling about my standards as a PC enthusiast though, and about how far PC hardware has come

• @coffeebiscuit@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          55 months ago

If you ask me, everyone and everything that’s calling itself a pro isn’t really pro.

And than again John from finance is a professional who want a MacBook Pro. IT gave him a 8gb pro. John is happy and doesn’t know a damn thing about computers.

• @EliasChao@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          25 months ago

Disclaimer: I’m in no way trying to defend Apple here.

Saying that X amount of RAM (or any other component spec for that matter) is not enough for a “Pro” computer is not really a universal truth or something, you can’t compare people running multiple instances of Docker with people doing photo editing or web dev for example.

Either of those can be “Pros” within their field, their hardware requirements doesn’t make them professionals or enthusiasts. I know I’m being a bit tangential here, but arguing about the “correct” spec por a Pro computer has always irked me.

That being said, I agree it’s ridiculous that Apple is shipping $1K+ computers with merely 8GB of RAM. Also, it’s known that Apple’s “pro” devices most of the time just mean they’re just their most expensive tier. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• @hemko@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Also, it’s known that Apple’s “pro” devices most of the time just mean they’re just their most expensive tier. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Your lack of knowledge shows. Everyone with at least 2 brain cells and capability to read can understand that this is just plain wrong.

Macbook pro for example has a CPU cooler inbuilt (first ever on a laptop BTW)