My main issues are living in a country (Hungary), where a college degree would be almost mandatory for any dev jobs (mainly due to HR being dumb), also I’m disabled so my only job opportunity is a crappy government program one that pays half the minimum wage for full-time employment (!!!), but this is the only no-12 hour shift and no-6AM starting option (most of which are also like 60+km from me, which means I would have to wake up even earlier, which isn’t good for my health at all). however, not only a pay is very low, but also the 7AM starting is beginning to be way too much for my health. I’m already on sleeping pills to try to make myself fall asleep before midnight (almost impossible), and I also don’t have the money to get my meds changed to something better at a private doctor. Of course no disability benefits, because “I’m not disabled enough”, and otherwise I would just spend it on luxury cars (a common pre-2010 myth in Hungary was that disabled people could buy brand new Mercedeses).

I primarily have experience with game development (mainly from open source stuff), but without a long list of corporate experience, I have an even harder chance. I could work at other places too (I have some audio development experiences too), but would like to stay far away from web development.

• soulsource
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Have you tried sending applications to game studios directly?

It might sound old-fashioned, but for me this worked out like a charm, and I have been working at my dream job for almost 8 years now.

• pkill@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Yeah also bonus points if you mod their games, especially when it comes to contributing to big conversion mods.