Hey guys! I got my home lab setup going nicely now. One mirror vdev ZFS for my Nextcloud, granting very good performance! Small question though: I got two extra drives now and was thinking if it is worth it adding it already as extra mirror vdev. My question is the following:

Will resilvering of a single disk be quicker if I have my data striped over two mirror vdev than if all my data is in a single mirror vdev?

In other words, I was wondering in that sense if it is safer to replace a disk due to shorter resilver?

• jh0wlettOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I think for now that should be fine. I got daily cloud backups, and got a way to remotely turn off the PC if a disk degrades or faults. I might also even get a disk as hot or cold spare just to be sure. With 2 mirrors I got quite a bit of performance, and in a sense better off than with a single mirror.

I’m using the storage to host Nextcloud, and the performance was just not really good enough with a singular disk of speed. I’m hosting it for me and the wife so we can both share pictures with each other without needing a privacy invasive third party :)