A federal judge who is weighing whether to allow the nation’s first execution by nitrogen hypoxia to go forward next month, urged Alabama on Thursday to change procedures so the inmate can pray and say his final words before the gas mask is placed on his face.

U.S. District Judge R. Austin Huffaker made the suggestion in a court order setting a Dec. 29 deadline to submit information before he rules on the inmate’s request to block the execution. The judge made similar comments the day prior at the conclusion of a court hearing.

Alabama is scheduled to execute Kenneth Eugene Smith on Jan. 25 in what would be the nation’s first execution using nitrogen gas. Nitrogen hypoxia is authorized as an execution method in Alabama, Mississippi and Oklahoma but has never been used to put an inmate to death.

The proposed execution method would use a gas mask, placed over Smith’s nose and mouth, to replace breathable air with nitrogen, causing Smith to die from lack of oxygen.

• OptimusPrimeDownfall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Probably not. But remember that ~4% of all death row inmates are innocent, so it may be that he didn’t kill anyone.

Also, shouldn’t the state be better than a murderer? Shouldn’t the mere fact that we believe we, as a society, are civilized mandate allowing a death row inmate respect before they die?

I’m not religious, so I don’t think praying and final words will do anything. But it won’t harm anyone, and if it makes him more comfortable as he goes out, especially in light of the likelihood he didn’t that to his victim, I’m not against it.