• soulsource
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

We are in a better situation regarding the addition of new languages. Most of our devs (don’t know the exact count, 40-50 I guess) are dissatisfied with C++ in one way or another. Our company started out with Unity (which uses .Net), so most of our senior devs have experience with other languages too, and those who don’t are generally young people who haven’t had time to get stubborn yet 😜.

Our technical director pushes towards functional programming pretty strongly, and he gave most of us the opportunity to participate in a course by FP Complete, which was a bit about Haskell, but mostly about Rust. So, most of our coders have at least seen Rust. Some liked it enough to do spare time projects in it, and as far as I can tell there is no strong dislike towards the language from anyone in our team.

However, there is no consensus yet amongst seniors which language besides C++ we should introduce. Our tech director leans towards Rust for business reasons (-> the argument is that many devs like Rust, so finding Rust devs should be easy). Some, though they dislike C++, would rather keep it exclusively, as they doubt the benefits of other languages would outweigh the overhead (training, writing FFI bindings). Then there are those (including me) who would go directly for a pure functional language…

And last, but not least, there is the biggest reason why we haven’t introduced any languages besides C++ yet: Time. We would need time to experiment with integrating languages into our tooling, and we simply are too busy at the moment to do that…

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Nice.

Our org pushes OO quite a bit, so I’d need to push for a change in development methodology. However, in practice we do something in the middle between OO and functional, and I’ve been pushing to go a bit more functional.

We have leeway here since we use microservices, so using Rust in just one part of the app wouldn’t be too disruptive. However, our teams haven’t specialized, so we’d need at least one person per team that’s comfortable with Rust.