So I finally decided to join my university Linux group, and as I been helping people with simple problems in discord for a while they put me in the helpdesk.

All fine and dandy, but other than dual boot and partitioning problems that I had to deal with myself (stupid laptop which does no follow efibootmgr order) I don’t know much about other kinds of troubleshooting.

Is there some reads or free online courses that u guys would recommend.

• @rufus
    link
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Ask your Linux group. Seriously. They should know best what kinds of issues their ‘users’ frequently face and what kind of information there is.

I learned Linux by doing. Set up a webserver, set up a network share, assemble a RAID with 2 old HDDs. Install Steam and play around a bit. Try LaTex and write your next homework assignment with it. Set up a Python / R / C++ development environment. All of that is good practice and you’ll understand the concepts and specific issues once you do it yourself. Imho that’s better than a theoretical course. You can do this in VMs or find old hardware. Some people in such groups have good connections.

Also a university library should have some free (for you) material (books) on Linux.

• @rufus
        link
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Thanks. Yeah I spent some time with it and drew some finite-state machines with TikZ(?), other diagrams, we assembled a few physics homework assignment scripts to tidy the data from experiments, do linear regression and generate beautiful diagrams. It also taught me a bit about typesetting and proper formatting. I ‘wasted’ quite some time with it but a homework assignment in TeX looks almost like a scientific paper. Depending on the later career it’s a good skill to have. And I still prefer writing stuff with that instead of fighting LibreOffice. YMMV, since I also like programming and prefer text and the command line over GUIs.