Welcome to the Weekly Question Thread on c/guildwars2!

This post is dedicated to those questions that you might not think is worth making a whole post about, but sure is worth getting an answer to ;)

Remember to also take a look at the links in the sidebar, which holds lots of great resources.

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Are there “slower” guides on crafting? Everything is “how to get to level 100 cooking ASAP” but I’ve just started playing and I don’t really know how cooking works at all - like where to be looking for ingredients and stuff. Basically I need the first 10 levels rather than the next 90!

• saruwatarikooji@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There is gw2crafts.net

It’s all about leveling it fast and cheap but it’s probably the best one out there.

The cooking is much like the rest of the crafting. You start out with basic mats and refine them up to a usable item but it emulates IRL cooking in that you make raw materials into something else in between and then use those to get the usable item… Basically just extra steps. It seems really daunting at first but you get the hang of it pretty quickly as you do it.

As for acquiring the ingredients, either through gathering, trading post, or karma vendors. Cooking is the only one with a heavy reliance on karma vendors.

• Fox@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Tbh i cannot recommend doing cooking as a beginner of the game, even if it is the most fun you can have with crafting in this game.

I did that when i started and it was the last profession i finished, since i never had the mats and had to use the wiki alot.

It takes Karma, Gold and a lot of inventory space. Especially if you want to learn all recipes.

You need lots of butter for example and you only get that from enemy drops or the AH.

It is also a bit more complicated than normal crafting IMHO, since there are many dishes you need as a step inbetween or have to travel all over the world to get some specific spices.

‐------------

Very easy to craft a weapon. You mostly need 3 things.

Lets say for an Axe you need:

A short woodhandle since it is a one-hand weapon.

The Axe Blade that goes on top

And a rune that signifies what stats it has.

You put em in discovery and you get an axe with the stats of that rune. Thats the basics.

For some later you might also need the receipe or Ektoplasma.