Elevating Performance and Flexibility

We are excited to announce the release of Stalwart Mail Server v0.5.0. As we approach the end of the year, this significant update marks a major advancement in our journey to provide a robust, efficient, and versatile mail server solution. This latest version incorporates a range of performance enhancements, storage layer improvements, and new features, designed to elevate your email server experience.

• nutbutter
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I moved from Gmail to ProtonMail, then to Mailbox.org. Ypu can set up a mailserver on your home server, but you would need a VPS that would forward the traffic to and from your home server without you needing to open any ports. This guide can help you with TLS passthrough.

But setting up your own mailserver is a big hassle. Just pay a trusted provider and keep your inbox, and preferably all emails, encrypted with GPG.

• nutbutter
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I was paying $7/m for their mail, VPN and drive services. One of my major reasons to switch was their lack of linux support. They claim that it is hard to find Linux developers. Second reason was their drive’s download and upload speeds were terrible, from where I am sitting. Their VPN service is great. I always got great speeds, but their linux apps have always been terrible. Their mail service is also great, but I would like more control over it, like Mailbox.org. on Mailbox, I can encrypt my inbox using a different key, while also having the SMTP submission feature. I really ned that to integrate emails with my websites and services. Mailbox can also encrypt their cloud drive with our key, while also providing WebDAV support (how cool is that). Their mail app on android is open-source but is not available on f-droid. And the apk they provide on their website neither has a notification functionality, nor does it auto-update. Another reason was that I was limited to 3 custom domains, unless I buy their business plan. Mailbox has no such limit.

One final reason was that I did not want to keep all my apples in one basket. So, for mail, I am using mailbox, for storage, I am using a personal nextcloud and a Hetzner managed nextcloud, for VPN, I started using mullvad, but their speeds are terrible and connections are unreliable. For passwords I am using self-hosted vaultwarden.

There are a few more reasons that I do not remember, now. Proton is great, I still trust them. But these small things really go a long way.

• Victor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Thank you for that detailed reply. You have far greater needs than I do. 😊

It would be cool to do all these things and self-host. One day I’ll get there, in life.

• ssdfsdf3488sd@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

That’s pretty much exactly my story except I went with fastmail.com, mullvad for vpn (you really need to test with some script to find your best exit nodes I forget which one I used ages ago but it found me a couple of nodes about 1000 kms away from my location and in a different country that I can do nearly a gig through routinely… Maybe it was this script? https://github.com/bastiandoetsch/mullvad-best-server) . I went with pcloud for a bit but tailscale and now currently netbird make it kind of irrelevant since its’ so easy to get all my devices able to communicate back to my house file server. I want to like hetzner so bad but every time I try it the latency to north america just kills me and the north american offering was really far away and undeveloped last time Itried it

• nutbutter
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

For me the issue with Mullvad is like this… I connect to a server, I get good speeds, but after an hour or two, I get stuck at 2-3mbps. This issue gets resolved when I reconnect, even to the same server. Also, I like using OpenVPN over TCP, but their speeds, in Mullvad’s case, are terrible for all exit nodes.

It also may be the case that my ISP is deliberately ruining the IPv4 routes because I am connecting to a VPN for privacy.