Residents of 12 states are eligible to participate if they meet certain criteria. But the agency’s plans have already met resistance from tax preparation companies.

• Hazzia
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Paying for the honor of either giving the government more money, or convincing them that they took too much and to give it back. But don’t worry, they’ll double check your work sometimes to make sure you gave them enough (fuck you if you gave them too much though). Oh, thinking “if they know how much I owed them anyway, why do I have to do this shit in the first place?” Fuck you, that’s why.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Oh, thinking “if they know how much I owed them anyway, why do I have to do this shit in the first place?”

They do that in pretty much all other developed countries. Never had to worry about filing taxes when I lived overseas. Just double check their work and forget about it until next year.

• HeartyBeast@kbin.socialOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

In the UK, if you are basically employed by one employer with minimal savings, you don’t have to fill in a tax return. As soon as things get a bit more complicated- you are self-employed or have multiple streams of income, you have to fill in a return

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

As soon as things get a bit more complicated- you are self-employed or have multiple streams of income, you have to fill in a return

Maybe I misunderstood.

• HeartyBeast@kbin.socialOP
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

That’s not to do with copying anyone though. It’s just an intrinsic problem with the complexity: “We’re pretty sure we have the information needed to calculate your tax? No worries, we won’t brother you. Affairs are more complicated? We’ll have to ask you for help”