From https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/14phpbq/how_is_it_possible_that_roughly_50_of_americans/

Question above is pretty blunt but was doing a study for a college course and came across that stat. How is that possible? My high school sucked but I was well equipped even with that sub standard level of education for college. Obviously income is a thing but to think 1 out of 5 American adults is categorized as illiterate is…astounding. Now poor media literacy I get, but not this. Edit: this was from a department of education report from 2022. Just incase people are curious where that comes from. It does also specify as literate in English so maybe not as grim as I thought.

• joonazan
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I found the first part of Gravity’s Rainbow a very fun ride. But I took a break at that point as it is very slow to read and I wouldn’t want to interrupt it mid-part. I was impressed that it was able to explain mathematical concepts in simple yet correct ways, which is rare in books let alone books this crazy.

Finnegans Wake on the other hand I haven’t even given a serious try. Spelling words as you see fit is too much for me.