Thailand’s new government is moving ahead to pass new legisalation banning cannabis for recreational use in a major reversal 18 months after the country became the first in Asia to decriminalize the plant.

The relaxed laws saw a lucrative cannabis industry catering to locals and foreigners alike boom across the Southeast Asian nation, but a new conservative coalition government came to power late last year vowing to tighten the rules and only allow medical use.

A draft bill was released on Tuesday by Thailand’s health ministry outlining hefty fines or prison sentences of up to one year for offenders – or both.

• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Sure mate.

You probably mean to say I’m prejudiced or even racist or something rather than pretentious, and that would be true in this case.

Pretentious is a loaded term. One might say “heavily motivated by perceptions of class”.

I haven’t grouped culture’s together as monolithic. Merely that the many and varied cultures I’ve encountered in SEA are very concerned with the perceptions of others.

I’ve spoken to many Thais about this very issue, at length, including my partner. You don’t care whether you believe me, but it absolutely is because they worry about being perceived as a country of drug users.

• AreaSIX @lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

You literally wrote most south east Asian cultures are deeply pretentious. Having a Thai partner doesn’t somehow magically make you an authority on a region with close to 700 million people. You’re grouping together countries like Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Burma and Singapore and calling them deeply pretentious. Bringing up a Thai partner to demonstrate some kind of authority in the matter fits perfectly in with the rest of it. I don’t have any issues believing you have a Thai partner and have spoken to many Thais. My issue again is with you thinking that fact gives you the authority to casually judge a region of 700 million people as deeply pretentious. And then doubling down.

• eskimofry@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Not OP but:

My issue again is with you thinking that fact gives you the authority to casually judge a region of 700 million people as deeply pretentious. And then doubling down.

It’s kind of true. As an Indian I know how much SEA turns up their nose at the sight of Indians.

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

I worked over there. Man Singapore looks so far down on Indians and Malaysians it’s amazing they can even see things to be racist about. And then they steal everyone else’s cuisine anyways.

It’s amazing how much SEA cares about status and all that but I think it’s to make sure they note that while being working class countries they are white collar instead of blue in an attempt to excuse anything away. “Hey, at least we aren’t farmers”

Even the birth places of Buddhism, Daoism, and more can’t avoid the trappings of perceived identity.

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

I don’t claim to be an authority. This is my opinion.

I’ve actually spent a great deal of time in each of the countries you mentioned with the exception of Singapore. I’m entitled to have an opinion, with which you may disagree if you wish.

I didn’t disclaim my opinion with mealy mouthed qualifications as in “well in my opinion people I’ve met in South East Asia often tend to be more pretentious than the average person in, say, Australia” because I just don’t care what you think.

I have in fact spent a great deal of time talking with Thais both in Thailand and abroad about this exact issue. I suspect you might be surprised at how many of them would just outright tell you “yeah I don’t like how everyone thinks Thailand is some kind of drug country now”.

• eskimofry@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Are you white? Because they won’t extend the same courtesy to brown people… specifically Indians.

• fine_sandy_bottom
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Yes I’m white.

Skin color is a very strong indicator of class or social status in Thailand. People who work outside or in the fields will have darker skin. People who sit around all day in-doors will have lighter skin.

While logically people can acknowledge that this isn’t true in 2024, there’s plenty of wealthy people with a dark complexion, it’s so deeply embedded in Thai culture that beautiful, desirable people have light skin.