Some article websites (I’m looking at msn.com right now, as an example) show the first page or so of article content and then have a “Continue Reading” button, which you must click to see the rest of the article. This seems so ridiculous, from a UX perspective–I know how to scroll down to continue reading, so why hide the text and make me click a button, then have me scroll? Why has this become a fairly common practice?

• @fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    464 months ago

Nah that’s not it. The text content is an infinitesimal portion of a modern Web page.

Many webpages are > 1mb, that’s a million letters if you will.

• @Vlyn@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      44 months ago

Articles usually have images and possibly embedded videos. So it’s not just text.

Even so, a decent webserver wouldn’t really care.

Maybe it loads faster for mobile users though if you only load text and a single image at first.

• @fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        14 months ago

I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

The comment I replied to said that maybe the “read more” button is an effort to conserve bandwidth by only sending half the text.

I said that the text is such a tiny portion of the bandwidth required to transmit a web page that it wouldn’t make sense to try conserving it by only sending half.

You’re absolutely correct in that only sending images on the visible part of the page is a common way to conserve bandwidth.

• @Jessica
      link
      -94 months ago

You’ve got that the wrong way. It’s <1mb. Just read the less than symbol out loud.