• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I’m using a Unifi U6-Lite access point and an Intel AX210 WiFi card on an 80MHz channel. Iperf showed about 600mbps down on WiFi 6 and 550 on WiFi 5 from across the room last time I tested it. There’s no other WiFi networks anywhere near me to interfere with anything.

Smaller channels will avoid interference, but you get less bandwidth on them. The bitrate only increased 20% between WiFi 6 and 7. To get a large speed boost, you need the wider channels that WiFi 7 supports.

• ApexHunter@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The lite, being the cheapest model in that line, unsurprisingly only supports 2x2 mimo. Getting 600mbps from that is actually really good, but given net bandwidth is nearly identical to what is available for wifi5 I’m not surprised you didn’t see much of a difference.

An ap with 4x4 mimo would substantially outpace your wifi 5 router.

• cmnybo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

The AX210 only supports 2x2 MIMO and I haven’t seen any WiFi 6 cards with more streams than that.
        An AP with 4x4 MIMO would provide more bandwidth for multiple clients since WiFi 6 supports MU-MIMO in both directions.

• fuckwit_mcbumcrumble@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

On my Archer BE800 and AX201 equipped Thinkpad T14 I’m able to hit just over gigabit on speed tests. Your wifi 6 lite is only 2.4 and 5ghz which is probably why your speeds are so poor, especially if you have other devices on the network.

Unifis wifi 6 offerings were really disappointing. 2.4 5ghz wifi 6 only is just kinda stupid, and I think that’s why it has had such lame reception (no pun intended). Wifi 6 with 6ghz is incredible. Wifi 6 on 5ghz is good. And wifi 6 on 2.4ghz is just kinda awful. It’s not worse than anything previously on 2.4ghz, but it’s just not a step up.