• fiah
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

You don’t see how crushing their competition would help them?

• Magiwarriorx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

No? Up until very recently, Mastodon essentially was the Fediverse, and it was laughably tiny compared to Meta. It cracked 2.5 million active monthly users in January, which sounds like a lot until you realize Instagram has 2 billion active monthly users. More importantly, the active user count for the whole Fediverse was in decline since that January number, down to 1.4 million monthly users at the start of June. The Reddit drama drove an increase in users, but no way Meta is agile enough to shove this out the door in response to something that recent. Its not like Mastodon has a glowing public perception outside of the Fediverse, either.

Truthfully, I don’t think Meta gives a damn about the current Fediverse; it’s too small to matter. Whatever their goal, I don’t think we were a consideration.

• fbievan@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Activity pub is more than just mastodon, there is book ratings, and also peertube.

I don’t see meta ever going there.

• fiah
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t see meta ever going there.

out of the goodness of their collective hearts? They already sell books (through ads) and host video, why do you think they’d stop after only crushing federalized social media? Because they can’t be bothered?

• fbievan@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

No I just don’t see meta wanting to compete in those fields