this contradiction always confused me. either way the official company is “losing a sale” and not getting the money, right?

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Dude, of course there is a difference. If you sell a physical good you do not have that physical good anymore. If you sell a digital copy you can keep selling that digital copy because you do not necessarily give it away or delete it.

Saying that there is no difference at all between the two is silly.

To be clear, I am not saying this justifies anything regarding copyright, but it is a difference if you can sell something over and over again or just once.

• Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

If you sell a digital copy you can keep selling that digital copy because you do not necessarily give it away or delete it.

Steam and other DRM systems ensure that copies cannot be played. Yet you can’t sell your Steam games. It is my understanding that in the EU, you can sell your Steam games. So there is no legitimate reason you can’t sell digital goods.

• PropaGandalf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Thats why copying of an immaterial gpod is not stealing because the other person still has the full ownership over their copy.