Microsoft said: “We are forming a new team focused on enabling the adoption of the Rust programming language as the foundation to modernizing global scale platform services, and beyond

• @unique_hemp
    link
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Both. Primarily most software written in C should be rewritten to a memory safe language, be it Rust or some other alternative. Because there is a lot of software written in C, this is a veeeeery long term goal, and will probably never be achieved 100%, but at least Microsoft seems to be on board with this.

• bluGill
      link
      fedilink
      63 months ago

This article is about C# though, which is also memory safe. At least from the article (which is only a few paragraphs that doesn’t say anything more than the headline) there is no indication that microsoft is working on C or C++. (though we know from other sources that Rust is in the kernel where there is C and C++)

• @rwhitisissle@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        43 months ago

I personally assumed they were rewriting it from C# because C# is complete ass that got destroyed by Microsoft’s own insistence on feature creep. The language is a goddamn mess. That said, a ton of languages are a mess but they’re even more baked into shit than C#. Like, Javascript is a bad language, but it’ll probably always be around because…internet.

• @unique_hemp
        link
        13 months ago

Yeah, for this the only real argument is performance, I was answering in general.

• @1rre
      link
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I’d argue C is fine in a fairly large proportion of its uses - if you’ve chosen to use C in the last 25 years then odds are that memory fuckery is a feature and not a bug and you’re doing some wizardry with hardware addresses or critical optimisation on iteration or something where any language that abstracts that stuff away makes it much harder to deal with, both to set up and when it goes wrong… You could say just use assembly, but C allows you to do the wizardry while abstracting away the unnecessary boilerplate of assembly. I’d argue this also applies to lower kernel level code and stdlib object files due to the rigorous testing and performance gains which are possible, but large amounts of even kernel level code don’t need this.

Aside from legacy code, where COBOL and Pascal are more of an issue anyway, the real problem is C++, which is a bastardisation of C and should be euthanised and replaced with rust ASAP.