link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

That going into corporate, VC funded, centralization focused and privately controlled social network is not good long-term idea.

Myself I have nothing against profit itself, but the relationship of how single entity can manage network.

• fr0g@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

But they’re (allegedly soon) federated and say they want to give control of the protocol over to an independent standards body. So like, half of the stuff you’re saying might not even really apply here.

• smileyhead
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

It’s the mindset. Standard bodies already have plenty of protocols established, with ActivityPub being the latest trend implemented in dozens of different federated apps. XMPP for real time data flow or (not yet standardized) Matrix for shared graph databases. Bluesky is another XKCD 927.

I won’t expect anything great from a social service from the start hosted on Amazon AWS, with domain bought from Google Domains, developed on Microsoft GitHub, announcing app first on Apple AppStore and not supporting basic decentralization-friendly things like IPv6.

• fr0g@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Not inherently. But since both Mastodon and Bluesky use some sort of public protocol, it is possible that people will develop some bridging software that allows both protocols to talk to each other. I think some people are already trying to build something like that, but I have no idea how well it will work/what the trade-offs will be. Maybe not every feature can be easily translated between the protocols.