With their recent update it seems they are on the last step to making their free version completely useless – are there any good alternatives out there? Preferably something that has a similar android app. I know I could use ssh+vi in a text file, but I’d prefer something a bit more streamlined

• Norgur
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have used Joplin for a good while. I self hosted a little docker server for sync and off I went. There are paid sync plans available though. Nowadays I’m lazy and use the notes of my Nextcloud instance most of the time.

• X3I@lemmy.x3i.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Just adding: you can also sync Joplin through your Nextcloud instance, works well for me

• Norgur
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You could do that as well of course. Notes is more convenient when all you’re doing is little lists and such, Joplin is better for larger notes like you’d do in OneNote.

OneNote might be an option as well, if you have a MS365 account and feel comfortable using it and Microsoft’s Servers.

• jcarax@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Or if you have anything offering webdav, I’m syncing to my mailbox.org drive. I’m not sure if I’ll stick with Joplin, though, I’m not sure markdown is for me.

• Jim P.@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

You can toggle the editor to be WYSIWYG only and then you won’t see Markdown source.

• jcarax@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I don’t think you can do that on the Android app, though, can you? I don’t mind markdown as much on my laptop, but on the phone it’s a pain in the ass when I’m just trying to jot something down, or add to a list.

• Jim P.@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I thought you could but apparently not, unless I’m not seeing it. I was thinking of the desktop app on Linux/Windows/macOS.

It threw me off since it’s not just a plain text editor but renders some of the formatting even when editing markdown.

• BlushedPotatoPlayers@terefere.euOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks! Nextcloud could be a good solution, given that we already have that server running – do they have an app inside or just a text file? I’m not the admin of that cloud, so can’t check any extra options personally

• Norgur
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There are several apps. There is just plain “Notes”, then there is a trello-kanban-style-thing called “Deck” and an app doing more of a fridge-magnet-notes style called “Carnet”. All of those have corresponding apps and Deck and Notes use the same CalDAV-Notes, so are interoperable.