• @ilinamorato@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I don’t know why I never vibed with vertical tabs, but I’ve just never been able to make it work mentally. And I could see a double-edged sword with synced workspaces (I think having a button to click and see open tabs on other devices is a perfect middle ground). Personally, tab groups is the only thing I miss from Chromium. I used the feature for grouping, but also for labeling tabs: “Check back Tuesday,” or “Don’t forget to follow up,” or whatever. If they gave us tab groups and then never updated Firefox again, I think I would be pretty happy.

EDIT: well okay not happy, but I would be satisfied with the browser we ended up with.

• @Blisterexe@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      14 months ago

Do you mean never updated, or never adding new features? Because Firefox would be unusuable within 6 months because of how the web works if it stopped being updated

• @ilinamorato@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago
        1. Yes, I was speaking hyperbolically.

2. My hyperbole also presumes that Gecko continues to be updated, though the browser would get no further updates.

3. This hyperbolic hypothetical is truly impossible, since Firefox is open-source. It would continue to be maintained by SOMEone.

4. Six months might be a bit pessimistic. It might start being less reliable within six months, but the pace of WHATWG RFCs has been dwindling gradually since the mid-2000s. Honestly, I think operating system changes would be more likely to render Firefox’s codebase obsolete before web standards do.

• @Blisterexe@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          34 months ago

I get that you were being hyperbolic, I’m honestly not sure why I left my previous comment, you’re absolutely right