• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I have another kernel option for you to try: “earlyprintk is useful when the kernel crashes before the normal console is initialized. It is not enabled by default because it has some cosmetic problems.”

• earlyprintk=vga,keep debug
    • earlyprintk=efi,keep or earlyprintk=bios,keep

I’m not sure if it gets you anywhere, but it could make the fist kernel messages show up.

And you could try replacing the acpi=off with acpi=noirq. If it’s something with the interrputs, there are extra options like apic=irqfixup or nolapic (mind the difference apic <-> acpi). (Taken from this document)

I had the time to google a bit and I was right, I am about to run out of ideas. There is a good general guide in the arch wiki on how to approach issues:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/General_troubleshooting#Boot_problems

Maybe also read that, but that’s pretty much it.

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Wow thank you so much for keeping up on it!

I tried the earlyprintk options, but unfortunately none of them did work. Neither did the orher acpi options show up something, I do still have the exact same behaviour :(

I will work through the troubleshoot link you pasted, thank you as well for that.

Appreciate your help, I guess I‘ll start thinking about replacing the mobo

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I guess I‘ll start thinking about replacing the mobo

Yeah, I’m slowly getting to the same conclusion. You could try and rip out all other non-essential components to rule them out. If there are any. And go through the BIOS options once more, switch everything to “Other OS” and try the “legacy” modes for ACPI, boot etc. But at this point I somehow doubt any of this will make any difference. Just make sure the next mobo is alright 😆

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

got some news. I don’t think, that it might change something, but who knows.
          I added in grub the option “insmod progress” (which I found by googling somewhere). It should show, if kernel and initrd do load or not and now I can see, that the vmlinuz and initrd are loading to 100% and after that it hangs. So it looks like the kernel loads but then stucks.
          As said before, I don’t think that this might change something in regards to further tests with my actual mobo, but I didn’t want to left that out …

• rufus
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Ah nice. At least something. But I don’t think it’ll change anything since it’s still grub outputting that, and not a life sign from the kernel.

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Yeah I already got one in mind and looked it up on linux-hardware.org - any other option I‘d have to make sure the next one is alright? (Besides socket and compatibility with my other hw)

• rufus
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Sorry I have no idea. It’s been ages since I last bought a mainboard and that one was recommended in a computer magazine… I’d google it. See if other people have issues with it. And I’t trust blogs, Reddit and forums more than the traditional compatibility charts.

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Alright, no worries! You invested so much time and effort trying to help me out, I can‘t thank you enough for that, really really appreciate it much!

• rufus
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                4 months ago

Hehe, no worries. I think the community needs to stick together. I used to do (voluntary) computer support once a week at university before I moved, now I occasionally do it here. It’s always nice being able to help people …Or in your case at least trying… To me, it’s way more fun than discussing politics or the latest news, anyways. And I mean I’m no exception. I also sometimes need support, ask questions about a new distro or get my itches scratched by people who solve my issues on Github.

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  4 months ago

Oh I absolutely can relate haha
                  Maybe one day I‘ll be here asking dumb questions again, watch out 😁