Fairphone’s latest repairable device is for people who hate saying goodbye to an old smartphone more than they like buying a new one.

• localhost443
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I still don’t get this level of rage. I just have a USB C adapter on the end of my ear buds, problem solved, one less physical port to have to replace as I keep my phones until they’re dead dead.

I guess you could argue you need an extra cable on you to plug direct into a HiFi system, but I cant even remember the last time that was something I’d want to do.

Aldo in the case of a repairable phone and having replaced the USB on this fp4, I struggle to see where they would have fit an extra daughterboard for a 3.5mm jack to make it repairable

• Lazhward@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Yeah, the rage seems to usually stem from two misunderstandings:

1. It forces you to use Bluetooth headphones.
      2. A 3.5mm jack is cheap and trivial to build into a phone, so there’s little or no reason to not include it.

You already pointed out why neither of those are legitimate reasons. For 1 you just need a simple dongle, not new headphones. For 2, because the Fairphone is modular and repairable, it’s not just the 3.5mm jack but also a custom replaceable daughterboard they’d have to develop and keep in stock.

Not having a 3.5mm jack is a minor inconvenience at most, I don’t get the rage either.