• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Wouldn’t count on it. I was curious what people saying about the IPO news and checked comments. "Where will we go now?“ comes up quite often and very few people even mention Lemmy, at least in the post I looked at.

And I don’t think that’s bad, I’d rather like users who want to be here and not getting pushed here.

• bamboo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

If not Lemmy, what else? Last summer I looked around and Lemmy seemed to be by far the largest that wasn’t on a single topic (ex, Hacker news)

• Hubi@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

There are a bunch of alternatives like Tildes and Raddle, but they are tiny in comparison. Lemmy is the place to be if you want a reddit-style platform.

• ralakus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I think the reason Lemmy took off is because it’s decentralized and a single person or corporation can’t easily enshittify it to make stonks go up before jumping ship with their golden parachute. Tildes being invite only also really killed any chance of really growing imo. It was the same mistake Google+ made. I never really heard of any of the alternatives other than kbin since they didn’t have the same voice as lemmy and kbin had in the whole reddit API enshitification and death of 3rd party clients

• BlueKey@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

May I suggest Kbin (or Mbin).
        It is compatible to Lemmys posts and voting and has also Microblogging.

• bamboo@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Kbin doesn’t seem like it’s going anywhere. The repos are dead (one commit in the last two months, written in php which is not promising for new contributors), there’s really only one instance of it, and I don’t know of any communities hosted there. There’s also no app support, which is crucial for me to actually use the platform. The concept is good so I’d love to see it continue, but I also wouldn’t invest anything in the platform at this time.

• BlueKey@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Kbin is developed by mostly one person, so yes, it progresses quite slowly.
            But there is also Mbin with many improvements and much more active development.

I’m fully with you, that an API is still missing and would love to see it implemented in the future.

• mesamune@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Even if it never gets any bigger than what we have now, thats fine. Personally, im finding people to be much nicer here.