First of all: I don’t have anything against Wayland. I just wanna play Minecraft occasionally.

I am running Fedora with KDE on some HP workstation with an Nvidia 2060 FE. I am using the proprietary drivers. With the next release of Fedora (and KDE), Wayland will be the only supported Display Manager (as of my understanding). I tried switching to Wayland, but I get some weird black stuttering in Minecraft making it completely unplayable. The bad thing is that with my friends GPU, a GTX 1050, it worked just fine. On my Laptop with just the integrated Graphics too.

Have you got any tips for me? I neither want to switch the distro nor the desktop enviroment, as I’m happy with how it is. I could imagine buying a used amd gpu, but I dont really want to spend a lot of money.

For now, I am just waiting and hoping they’re having it fixed in the release. ** Edit:** thanks for all the help. @Pantherina@feddit.des solution, forcing it to use xwayland made it better, but then i discovered that if I’m in fullscreen, it works perfectly fine, also without xwayland. It seems like a really dumb solution, and i’m not quite happy with it, but hey, if it works, don’t touch it.

tl;dr: In fullscreen it works just fine

• Zamundaaa
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

That shortcut does nothing on Wayland. What you’re experiencing is either placebo, or you’re not using Wayland

• Errorgance@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

You’re correct, it’s actually a KDE shortcut. My misunderstanding.

In my case it did help, so not a placebo. Given that OP is also using KDE, it may still help.

• Zamundaaa
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yes, it is a KDE shortcut, a kwin_x11 shortcut to be more specific. It’s not a thing with kwin_wayland, and so it most certainly did not help or do anything for you - unless you’re not actually using the Wayland session of course.

• Errorgance@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Ah, gotcha. I’m not new to Linux in general, but I’m very new to running it as a desktop (as in, the last few weeks). The last time I really tried was well before Wayland was even a thing. I’ve been distro hopping a lot to find what I like, and didn’t even realize I wasn’t using Wayland this time, oops. That certainly explains why it worked for me.

Learn something new every day. Thanks!