Is there such a thing for lemmy? I’ve noticed some… Overzealous moderation on lemmy, which annoys me to no end. I want to read the comments naturally, and not just what the power mods (yes, they are here too) deem acceptable.

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I know. I’ve been watching Lemmy since 2021 so I’ve been around for quite a while before the Reddit exodus happened. Before that Lemmy was mainly a wasteland. There were a few communities that would connect you with people but the majority of it felt just like talking to yourself. I think all the people coming from Reddit was necessary to lift it beyond a small Linux forum with 100 infrequent visitors. But it definitely was problematic. The state of the project wasn’t prepared for that kind of growth. I’m sure a few devs and admins spent their nights handling that instead of getting some sleep… And we only get by as of today. I’m still waiting for bugfixing and new features, but that won’t happen before the foundation is in good shape and it seems we have to be patient with that.

I’m a bit split on the version number thing. Sure, you can poke around with your hobby project for 10 years and slowly build something in peace that isn’t actively used by anyone… But this approach doesn’t deliver the goods. If you want to create something useful and get to a point where it actually provides something for someone, you have to have users, grow with your community at an adequate pace.

And from the user’s perspective: We want a platform to communicate. I like this style of discussion and there isn’t some other, superior federated alternative around. And I want to do it now, not in 5 years time. So the expectations might clash a bit, here.

I think fighting spam is the job of the instance admins. The developers are indirectly responsible, their job is to provide the tools to fight spam and moderate. I just started to get Spam recently, but I don’t watch the All feed, just my subscriptions so I could have missed it. However I saw all the DDoS attacks happening and I was affected by those. Nowadays I have several accounts on different instances, so I’m prepared.

• OpenStars@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m a relative newcomer myself, just from the time of the protests, and yeah I am also making multiple accounts. My Kbin one I even gave up on almost entirely, but you never know when it may come in handy:-).

I wonder how much of the development issues are related to the choice of languages, if it unnecessarily restricts the number of people who can help, or the political stance of the originator turning people away who are unwilling because of that. But Kbin, Mbin, and other spin-offs are happening, and even Threads and whatnot, so it does seem to be happening, just slowly.

And the interface is somewhat good even now, okay so not quite so “stable” but as you said, that was mostly from DDoS so understandable that it could take some greater difficulty to turn those away.

I expect great things in its future:-).

But either way I’m not likely to leave. (And even if I did, I still would never return to Reddit!:-P)