Does anyone know how this even works? Is the technology for this already in place?

• collegefurtrader
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Fuck yea buddy, the CIA has had a backdoor to every cell phone since the first cell phone

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Snowden.

A good starting point is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANT_catalog

For example:

DROPOUTJEEP … “A software implant for the Apple iPhone that utilizes modular mission applications to provide specific SIGINT functionality. This functionality includes the ability to remotely push/pull files from the device. SMS retrieval, contact list retrieval, voicemail, geolocation, hot mic, camera capture, cell tower location, etc. Command, control and data exfiltration can occur over SMS messaging or a GPRS data connection. All communications with the implant will be covert and encrypted.”

And here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_surveillance_disclosures_(2013%E2%80%93present)

• Minsk_trust@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The NSA had a program called DROPOUTJEEP according to an article in Der Spiegel. Think it came out with Snowden? Fuzy on details but you can look into it. It did include camera access but i dont think it could be installed remotely. Id be surprised if theres anything the NSA cant intercept but thats obviously what they would want us to think and Im just a guy.

• markstos@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

There will always be spies working with exploits, which is different from a sanctioned backdoor.

I doubt the tech used in DROPOUTJEEP works anymore.

• Minsk_trust@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Ah i see what you’re saying. No I dont think apple provides a known backdoor to french police.