The country is breaking apart but I guess is more important to avoid using feminine expressions on official papers that make us look homo or something

• Willow.
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

But the Catalan articles are still gendered

What puzzles me is that many IALs/conlangs based on the Romance languages (Interlingua, Elefen, etc.) insist on having a definite article (either la or le) when it could as well be dropped.

• leftzero@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Yeah, some Catalan politicians say “els ciutadans i les ciutadanes”, much like some Spanish politicians say “los ciudadanos y las ciudadanas”. Romance languages tend to have gendered nouns (and by extension articles). 🤷‍♂️

• Dieguito 🦝@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

You are right, I don’t speak Catalan and I was trying to downplay a little on a topic which is dramatic (not for the language per se but for the people who can be hurt by it). Auxlangs, being designed for a purpose, could make some little more effort towards inclusiveness. And that would be one of the few reason to prefer them to natlangs (e.g. for institutional communications).

• Jojo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Tsk, tsk, this willow wants to get rid of THE definite article, but they’re too afraid to even say it.