And the damn thing still broke sales records with 18 million copies sold.

Give me a fucking break.

• emeralddawn45
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

What are you talking about? The pc is basically one big box that thousands of game makers only release their games on, but there’s plenty of competition in the indie game scene and the steam marketplace. If anything, it’s taken power away from large publishers because a lot of people would rather pay $30 for a passion filled well thought out game than $80 for the latest unoptimized garbage heap. Game makers would still have to compete if there were no console exclusives. In fact they’d have to compete more, because instead of only being able to afford one console and being stuck with whatever games are on it, people would have the option of whatever games they wanted.

• PopOfAfrica@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I think at the moment it’s pretty much agreed upon that the best games that are coming out right now are coming from First Party Studios, Sans Microsoft who’s having their own fumbling right now.

They are outputting the best games and traditionally always have because there is more at stake in getting those games made. Without quality games being required to sell a piece of hardware, I don’t think first-party games would be nearly as good as they are.

• emeralddawn45
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

The switch has like two really good exclusives, and the rest are meh. Ps5 has a few good exclusives, but even Sony has started to realize that it’s more profitable to release their games on PC as well. Meanwhile PC/cross-platform games have a ridiculous amount of amazing competing titles. For every exclusive that I wished I had a console to play, there’s ten or twenty other games that I’d rather play on PC instead. Console exclusives should and likely will die fairly soon, especially now that consoles are basically just PCs, and with handheld like the steam deck making switch irrelevant.