• @geophysicist
    link
    edit-2
    2 months ago

You’re not “locked out”. You choose to exclude yourself by placing such a high value on privacy. Privacy for what here? For some near-public announcement threads and support channel chats that anyone else in the channel could screenshot or download or post online anyway? That is your choice but framing it as the project developers locking you out is strange.

• @Zworf@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

You choose to exclude yourself by placing such a high value on privacy. Privacy for what here?

It’s not the privacy of the content we’re discussing, it’s the horrible Discord client that keeps datamining your PC. It even inspects all the processes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/43lqyb/why_is_discord_recording_our_open_programs_and/

And they don’t allow third party clients. They say it can’t be turned off because of their push to talk features but I never use those anyway (and they are not needed for FOSS projects, they’re more gaming features).

Anyway I don’t trust them and don’t want to do “business” with them (and definitely not with Tencent). My point is that this mindset of “placing a high value on privacy” while admittedly quite niche, is definitely something many FOSS projects subscribe to. In particular Home Assistant which I mentioned, because a big reason for people using it is because they don’t want all their home data in a big data cloud (e.g. homekit, alexa, google home etc). The whole point of home assistant is so you can use your smart home equiment without having to subcribe to commercial companies. And then they do something like this.

What they could do is provide a secondary channel or a bridge to discord which they don’t bother with.

• @astrionic@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        12 months ago

It’s not the privacy of the content we’re discussing, it’s the horrible Discord client that keeps datamining your PC. It even inspects all the processes.

I agree that Discord isn’t a good choice for FOSS projects for various reasons including privacy, but can’t you just use the web client to avoid that specific issue?

• @Zworf@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          32 months ago

I don’t really want to sign up to their T&C’s, but I did in the past. But their web client is really annoying, it’s constantly blocking me and kicking me out and giving captcha’s. Probably I have too many ad/tracking blockers :P

But again, with a real FOSS ecosystem you wouldn’t have to worry about such skullduggery because there is no tracking to block.