Damn did y’all know there’s an eclipse coming? Apparently everyone else did… But I can primitive camp in state forests without a permit right? Both PA and NY? They might be crowded but that’s just a party… But will I get eaten by bears? How difficult is like three nights in the woods?

• nilloc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Specifically upstate NY can be pretty cold and snowy in early April. If I end up there we’ll be prepared for below freezing nights, lots of water and battery power and probably shitting in the woods. I wouldn’t count on any camping spots to be available.

I’m watching the jet stream before choosing where to go, but my family and I have a camper van and do a few yearly road trips, we’re ok finding Walmarts or Cabelas along the way.

To give you an idea. My (now late) brother and I flew to Chicago for the last total eclipse, and ended up driving our airport rental minivan from Chicago to Wyoming to guarantee cloudless viewing. The 18 hour drive each way (they wouldn’t change our return flight without doubling the cost) was completely worth it.

Also when we got there all places to shower were so booked that old derelict motels were scrambling to open back up and rent rooms. We paid $200 bucks for 3 people in one room they hadn’t been cleaned since the late 70s. Took luke warm showers, and slept until 3 am when we heard cars starting up outside to head to the best viewing spots.