I’m aware that this community is not usually happy with the content that’s available above-board for-free under-restriction. For instance, free with subscription, or free with ads.

But I have found myself obsessed with library cards recently.

Libraries grant access to pretty expansive collections even online: movies, tv, music, and ebooks are just the beginning. Genealogical resources, vehicle repair manuals, business contact databases, academic journals, and periodicals. One of my libraries granted me access to Udemy Business through Gale. I honestly can’t detail every database/collection/resource i’ve found available through the 4 libraries who have granted me useful access.

But I seem to have hit a wall. The New York Public Library says “visitors” may get a “temporary” card, but the number they gave me expired after 2 weeks and didnt get me access to any of their online offerings anyway.

Paris says they’ll happily issue me a card. All I need to do is fill out the form (in french?!) and show up in person with photo ID. /s

Surely, I’m not the only one who has decided to try to collect library cards like pokemon cards. I imagine there are philanthropic libraries or national libraries or something that I just don’t know how to look up. I’m looking for any library that will issue me a card regardless of residency, but for reference I am in the US if that’s the only residency requirement. Anyone got tips?

• nilloc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

We actually paid for a library card at the neighboring city because the have a much better collection, better online access (hoopla and Libby and Kanooy with less restrictions, our local town library is fully used up by morning most nights).

They also have a much better reciprocal museum pass selection, so we get big discounts on increasingly expensive museum tickets nearby.