A simple question to this community, what are you self-hosting? It’s probably fun to hear from each-other what services we are running.

Please mention at least the service (e.g. e-mail) and the software (e.g. postfix). Extra bonus points for also mentioning the OS and/or hardware (e.g. Linux Distribution, raspberry pi, etc) you are running on.

• loiakdsf
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago
    • Nextcloud, mainly for calendars and contacts; occasionally for sharing files with others.
    • Syncthing for syncing files.

Quick question: have you thought about hosting Radicale and filebrowser instead of NextCloud? I think that would be definetly lighter on your system.

Also: I have read lots of mixed opinions whether mailservers should be selfhosted - what is your take on this? Do you know about problems reaching the big player mailservers?

• foonex@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

When I looked around for CalDAV solutions the last time Nextcloud was the only one that allowed me to share calendars with my SO. Nextcloud isn‘t very taxing on my system because it doesn‘t do anything most of the time.

Do you know about problems reaching the big player mailservers?

Honestly, I don‘t know. I have never had a confirmed case of an email being rejected or classified as spam. There were some cases of not getting an answer to an email. But that could also be explained by shitty customer service.

It is tricky to setup everything correctly if you are trying to do it all on your own but SNM holds your hand for setting up DKIM, SPF and DMARC. That‘s where some people may have problems. Also, forget about setting up a mail server at home with any IP address you get from your internet provider.

• foonex@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

When I looked around for CalDAV solutions the last time, Nextcloud was the only one that allowed me to share calendars with my SO. Nextcloud isn‘t very taxing on my system because it doesn‘t do anything most of the time.

Do you know about problems reaching the big player mailservers?

Honestly, I don‘t know. I have never had a confirmed case of an email being rejected or classified as spam. There were some cases of not getting an answer to an email. But that could also be explained by shitty customer service.

It is tricky to setup everything correctly if you are trying to do it all on your own but SNM holds your hand for setting up DKIM, SPF and DMARC. That‘s where some people may have problems. Also, forget about setting up a mail server at home with any IP address you get from your internet provider.

• linearchaos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Self hosting mail servers is possible but I place it in one of those more trouble than it’s worth camps. If you set up your DKIM and SPF records, most places will accept your mail and not flag it as junk. There are always some businesses that are aggressive on anti-spam which won’t accept mail from home ISP ranges. My email at this point is more a notification that I bought something, that a bill is ready or two-factor for logging into someplace. I pay Google to handle my mail and don’t really regret it.