Image: 4 panels organized in a rectangle following a sequential order like a comic strip. The first panel is of a man with a very serious face stating, “Hey man, got any diphenhydramine?” The second panel is a grainy picture of the actor Robert Downey Jr. with a slightly inquisitive face and saying, “What’s that?” The third panel is an identical copy of the first image and saying, “Benadryl the allergy medicine.” The fourth and final panel is a grainy picture of Bobby rolling his eyes and taking a deep breath.

Edit: Tony Start -> Robert Downey Jr. I didn’t know that Tony Stark was a character Robert Downey Jr. played 🤦‍♂️

• HopFlop
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

As a non-American, I have never heard any of those “trade-names” and wouldn’t know what you’re talking about.

• tourist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

In that case I’d be happy to clarify

Tylenol: Paracetamol. Widely used non addictive pain medication. According to Wikipedia some German trade names are: Captin, Benuron, Enelfa.

Benadryl: Diphenhydramine. Allergy medicine. They kinda just throw it in every cold medicine, it feels like. Can’t find specifically what trade names they use in Germany.

Advil: Ibuprofen. Pain medication. Other trade names usually just prefix a random word with “Ibu”

Xanax: Alprazolam. Anxiety medication. Surprised you haven’t heard of this. American hiphop turned it into a household name at this point.

Effexor: Venlafaxine. Antidepressant.

Prozac: Fluoxetine. Antidepressant. Called Fluctin in Germany?

Klonopin: Clonazepam. Anxiety medication. Think they also call it Rivotril in Germany.

• HopFlop
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Interesting. Diphenhydramine (US name Benadryl) is apparently banned as a medication in Germany, thats why you couldnt find any trade names…

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen (thats what they are commonly called here) are relatively common, the others I dont know. But dont you need a prescription for the last four?

• tourist@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Ah that clears things up. There are newer and safer antihistamines than diphenhydramine, so I can probably guess why it’s banned.

Yeah those last four are prescription only