I never understood how to use Docker, what makes it so special? I would really like to use it on my Rapsberry Pi 3 Model B+ to ease the setup process of selfhosting different things.

I’m currently running these things without Docker:

• Mumble server with a Discord bridge and a music bot
  • Maubot, a plugin-based Matrix bot
  • FTP server
  • Two Discord Music bots

All of these things are running as systemd services in the background. Should I change this? A lot of the things I’m hosting offer Docker images.

It would also be great if someone could give me a quick-start guide for Docker. Thanks in advance!

• i_am_not_a_robot
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

If you’re already using systemd, do not switch to Docker. Use Podman instead. Docker runs all your services under the Docker service. Podman can both run the same containers as systemctl services.

• somethingsomethingidk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Quadlets with podman have completely replaced compose files for me. I use the kuberentes configs. Then I run a tailscale container in the pod and BAM, all of my computers can access that service without have to expose any ports.

Then I have an ansible playbook to log in to the host and start a detached tmux session so my user systemd services keep running. Its all rootless, and just so dang easy.

• loudwhisper@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I used to run systemd units that just start docker-compose files, that’s also a thing, I suppose. Also generally it’s easy to manage the container directly (killing/restarting) without the needed lifecycle a systemd unit gives, I would say.