As a person who just left reddit due to being tired of reddit mods’ power tripping, I asked folks here what are their reasons behind migrating here from other forums (most likely reddit too). It seems like none of the folks who answered had complaints on reddit mods. Do folks here not feel the same about reddit mods as I do?

I heard Lemmy mods are volunteers too. How do they compare to reddit mods? Did Lemmy do anything to ensure no power abuse to happen?

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

It’s the same concept. Downside here is the tools they’re provided with are a bit rough and need some more polish. It’s been an issue for some time. And there are less people here. That also means less moderators and that can sometimes be an issue.

On the plus side people tend to be a bit nicer here. So we can most of the time get away with it.

There is drama both there and here. Occasional disputes and arguments whether somebody deleted something out of personal motivation or because it was warranted. Some people have an attitude and don’t listen. Usually everything works to an acceptable level. I’d invite you to join and see for yourself.

Power abuse can happen. I don’t think there is a technical solution to make things like that impossible. It’s the instance admins who are responsible to handle that.