• hessenjunge
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I don’t know how it its where you live/the UK but there is probably a special clause/law that allows the owner to end the contract if they want to use the property themselves.

Edit: Downvote as much as you want but at least in Germany and France such clauses exist.

• Hadriscus@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

In France there is such a clause, but applicable only if the owner plans to rent to a family member of theirs, iirc

• alyth@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Downvoting because you know damn well how tight the rental market is. You’re not guaranteed to find a new apartment in the grace period you have before your eviction is due. Moving also incurs significant time and cost for moving your stuff, lost work days, and the rent which is sure to be higher.

• hessenjunge
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

That is my point! You can’t rely on a minimum clause when your landlord can evict you by claiming they want to live there themselves.

I never claimed that that I like this or that this somehow good. The housing market is a steaming pile of shit pretty much worldwide.

As a renters we(!) need be very aware of local laws and regulations regarding rent. Own use claim is not the only way to get evicted: in some cases fixing something in your flat might by regarded as a violation of contract and you’re out.

I have an old contract in one of tightest markets in Germany. If I had to move out my rent would triple.

So yes, I’m aware of the shit market - take my comment as a heads up, not a praise of the situation.

• alyth@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Fair enough, I’m sorry, that’s my bad, I totally misinterpreted your comment.